03Mar

CALLER.COM > Local April boxing card close to being finalized

CORPUS CHRISTI — Bob Arum’s Top Rank Boxing promotions is planning on staging a fight card at the American Bank Center on April 3.

Fort Worth-based promoter Lester Bedford, Top Rank’s on-site coordinator, said Wednesday that nothing had been finalized. But the card tentatively is scheduled to be broadcast on Fox Sports Network’s new “Top Rank Live” bi-weekly show as part of the Tecate Texas Boxing Series.

An official announcement could come as early as today, Bedford said.

“We’ll have something firmed up. We’re already starting to look at the ticketing process. We’re not prepared to make an official announcement right now because I don’t have the main event from the promoter,” Bedford said. “I can confirm that the plan is for the fight there. When we put out an official release obviously then it’ll be a for-sure thing. But it looks pretty positive now.”

Bedford said the card likely would include unbeaten Corpus Christi natives Jerry Belmontes and Alfonso Lopez. A featherweight, Belmontes is 11-0 with three knockouts after his six-round decision over Morris Chule last month in McAllen. Lopez, a light heavyweight now training outside of Houston, is 18-0 with 15 KOs. He last fought in November, stopping Tiwon Taylor in the second of six scheduled rounds in Stafford.

Belmontes and Lopez both fought on the undercard of the Brandon Rios-Manuel Perez main event at Whataburger Field on Oct. 17.

“I don’t know anything about the card other than the two kids we talked about. We’re not in any position to officially announce anything but we’re getting close,” Bedford said. “Hopefully we can maybe announce something (today). But I’m waiting on a main event. The plan right now is to come down there April 3.”

The Associated Press is reporting that at least two fights have been scheduled, both pitting boxers with salty records. Miguel Angel Garcia of Oxnard, Calif., who is 19-0 with 16 KOs, is scheduled to face Mexican native and Jarrell resident Eduardo Escobedo (27-3, 19 KOs) in a 10-round featherweight bout. The other fight scheduled is Denver welterweight Mike Alvarado (26-0, 18 KOs) against Hector Munoz, a 31-year-old journeyman from Albuquerque, N.M., who is 18-2 with 11 KOs. Munoz, however, hasn’t fought since October 2008 when he lost a 12-round technical knockout decision to Antonin Decarie for the vacant WBO NABO welterweight belt.

Source: Caller.com

Posted in Home

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment. Optional login below.